Re: Glade GUI: changing mechanism

Philippe Bertin wrote:
[...]
Well that's what I meant. Maybe in the link above, it could be mentioned that this is an example of how to use libglade. It'd help out people (digging into the subject) to obtain an example more rapidly.

Some things are the way they are - and wont improve untill someone
who cares about those particular things sends a patch, I'm sure
James Henstrige wouldnt refuse that simple kind of patch...

me linuxmax:/usr/compils/glade3-3.0.1> find . -name test-libglade.c
me linuxmax:/usr/compils/glade3-3.0.1>

It doesn't seem to be there ?

Yes, thats the libglade tarball you're looking for - not the glade3 tarball.

I think we need a little more trust on this front, if the user
is tampering with the system, its not a valid bug report/use case.

That's a political discussion  ;-)

Ugh - I give up here, I dont see why you are arguing that an
application distributor should support a situation where the
user tampered with the software (yes, the xml glade file that you
distributed with the app is "part of the software") - this is
not political at all.

My reasoning is that if you inhibit the user the *possibility* to tamper with the files you deliver, you won't have to take this into account when providing support. Call me a security (effectiveniss ?) freak: the less tweaking that can be done, the less support one should provide. If you provide your compiled program as one whole (i.e. without a separate file called e.g. project.glade), then the question "Did you tamper with project.glade, sir ?" is a question you shouldn't even think of asking when supporting your end product. But it would surely have to be one of the *first* questions you'd be obliged to ask your customer when not linking everything statically (i.e. using libglade's autoconnect possibilities)...

The perspective I have is - a software distribution & suite including
a kernel, base operating system, window manager & windowing system,
applications, installers, package managers - everyone has thier distinct
role to play, the role of safegaurding configuration data files is
that of the package manager & operating system setup, at least somewhere
along those lines.

So my question is - if you have so much spare time to go stopping up
every possible way to recieve a bug report, why dont you spend that
time improving the package manager on the distribution of choice for
your end users instead ? ... how are we moving ahead as a community
if we dont share responsability ?

Also, its a two way street here - if you're not willing to work with
users bug reports and tree them properly - forwarding the correct bug
reports to GNOME, the linux kernel, Xorg and whatnot, and participate
to a certain extent in the free desktop computing system that your
software is running on, why should you expect to get any support in return ?

While that doesnt pertain directly to your "less possible tampering -
less support" philosophy - I think that that philosophy of doing
something differently than everyone else because for some reason -
you cant afford the real work when everyone else can - well I think
you get my drift.

Cheers,
                 -Tristan