Re: Glade GUI: changing mechanism

Philippe Bertin wrote:

Andrea Zagli wrote:

use libglade

http://www.jamesh.id.au/software/libglade/

Well, I guess Fernando's intention is to continue to use some glade command-line utility/) add-on to continue to use the generated code in the compiled program ?
Why would someone want to go from
 glade file --> generated code --> GUI
when you can simply go from
 glade file --> GUI
with much less code-generators & generated code  to maintain ?

I'd like to know this too. Because libglade forces developers to deliver files which can eventually be changed by the user.

That is ill-informed - libglade forces no such thing, libglade parses
xml to build your app - whether you store that xml as a glade file
accompanying your app or as an encrypted string constant included
in your compiled program is your own device.

That being said - I think that distributing the glade file seperately is
a cleaner design, as it allows not only users but also developers to update
the UI without recompiling (allowing for some magic at the packaging
level), also - typicly apps are installed by a super-user into a read-only
prefix, generally the glade file - being part of the program's distributed
files is not user writable.

Cheers,
                       -Tristan

Which in the end results in something like a user-changeable program. A nightmare if you have to give support for such programs ... Are there still add-ons to generate code ? I guess there must still be such add-ons, maybe even for different programming languages ?
Such tools do exist, as scripts/programs that parse glade files
and output code.