Re: resource sizes with gdk-pixbuf-csource

On 8/7/06, tomas tuxteam de <tomas tuxteam de> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 09:46:43AM -0500, Matt Hoosier wrote:
> On 8/7/06, tomas tuxteam de <tomas tuxteam de> wrote:
> >On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 09:21:26AM -0500, Matt Hoosier wrote:
[...]
> Yes, understood. It would be nice to avoid the expansion until actual
> use, so that the process's address space isn't inflated for images
> that are only occassionally used.

Hmm. But when expanding, you'd end up with double (well 1 + 5/8) the
inflation of address space, since you get to keep the compressed image
around (of course, if it is cleverly done, the MM would know that the
compressed part is read-only and thus discardable from physical memory).

>                                   There's also the consideration the
> the binary's disk footprint grows, which is significant when dealing
> with embedded apps.

Seems you'll have to do the png decoding yourself :-(

Yes, I suspected this from the outset too. Thanks for the comments.

regards
-- tomás