Re: GTK for win32 cannot use stdio???

I think I remember this one: Visual Studio sets up your app's build
configoration tailored to the kind of app you tell it you want to
make, and if you don't specify a console app, it doesn't link in
the stdio lib.  Now throw a pinch of salt on this advice because I
haven't thought about it for a couple of years.

A quite large pinch of salt indeed ;) Firstly, there is no separate
stdio library. What you probably refer to is that if one marks an
application as a "GUI" application in the linking phase, as opposed to
"console" application, then its stdout and stderr by default don't go
anywhere, not even if you start it from the command line. (It's just a
flag in the .exe header, can be toggled even afterwards. It's not
implemented by linking or not linking to some "stdio lib".)

You have to redirect stdout (and stderr) to a file or pipe if you want
to see them. Yes, there is I/O redirection, quite like in Bourne-type
shells, also in the Windows command interpreter.

But unless the original poster can tell us what he actually means, I
don't think just guessing here will help much.

Anyway, in case somebody still wonders: There is absolutely no way I
can think of that using GTK would affect an application's ability to
use stdio.

--tml