Re: Building a GUI-Application

Good advice with the GtkFixed.

I would use a GtkLabel for the PDUs. You can't set the background
colour of a label directly, since it does not have it's own window.
Instead, put the label inside a GtkEventBox and set the background
colour of the event box. The event box will also make it easy to
detect mouse enter / exit events.

There's a section in the FAQ about label colour:

http://gtk.org/faq/#AEN815

You set a name for the widget (like "error_label", or "ok_label"),
then you have a style file which says how labels of each name should
be drawn.