Re: What about OCR ?

Liam R E Quin wrote:
On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 19:37 -0600, Michael Torrie wrote:

On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 09:43 +0200, "Alpe.Nusslé" wrote:

I'm french and I cannot undurstand a long text in english, so I try to send you this request.

Can we get an OCR function (reconnaissance de caractères en français) with GIMP ?

Unfortunately I have yet to find an open source or Free OCR program
that works reliably for me.  The best I have used is Finereader
made by http://abbyy.com/ but it is commercial, and I think runs
only under Microsoft Windows

Maybe with WINE?
I have once been able to use SimpleOCR under WINE.
(This is a another proprietary free-of-charge OCR program for windows.)

http://www.framasoft.net/article1244.html
http://www.simpleocr.com

regards,
Christophe