Re: Win32 Glib 2.8.x g_io_channel issues (receiving window messages on socket io channel)

when it moves on to build gobject, it hangs up while running
glib-genmarshal.  If I look at the task manager, ntvdm.exe is using
a lot of CPU - why would glib-genmarshal be using the 16-bit VM?

Heh, no reason. One thing to look out for is that the
glib-genmarshal.exe you built needs to run against a "fresh enough"
glib dll, preferrably the one you built in ../glib. For this reason I
tend to run either "make install" in glib first, then "make install"
in gobject, setting PATH to include where the glib DLL got installed,
or even to include glib/.libs. Etc, you get the idea. But anyway,
problems with this wouldn't have that symptom.

The likely cause is libtool: Libtool tries to enable running
executables without having installed the shared libraries they depend
on by creating "wrapper scripts" or maybe "wrapper executables". The
real exe would be in the .libs folder (like the .o files).

This never worked reliably for me. I got so fed up with it that in
order to never have that problem again I always edit the
"need_relink=yes" line in ltmain.sh (from which the libtool script is
built) to "need_relink=no". This fixes the problem, then libtool
creates the real exes directly in the folder itself.

I'm using the MinGW "Candidate" gcc-3.4.4 and
binutils-2.16.91-20050827-1, maybe I should move back to the "Current"
versions.

Don't think that's an issue.

Anyway, back to the original issue.  The extraneous
WSAEnumNetworkEvents() have cleared up :).

Good. They presumably weren't harmful, though, but unnecessary.

I'm not sure how best to proceed on further debugging.  Since I
incorporated the fixes you suggested into the gaim_url_fetch() code,
it is working great so I don't have a simple test program.  I guess
I'll have to come up with something.

If you can come up with a simple test program that repeatably has the
problem, by all means open a bug report in bugzilla, and pester me to
fix it quickly...

--tml