Win32 Glib 2.8.x g_io_channel issues (receiving window messages on socket io channel)

Greetings,

I'm having a strange problem in trying to get a program (gaim) working
with Glib 2.8.x (2.8.3) under win32.

I'm watching for IO on a socket using g_io_channel_unix_new(fd), and
then watching for the result using g_io_add_watch_full() (basically
using functionality modeled after gdk_input_add()).  This is a really
standard operation.

The problem that I'm running into is that I seem to be receiving
Window messages on the socket io channel.

If I set the G_IO_WIN32_DEBUG environment variable to enable debug
output, I end up seeing line after line of the following if I do
anything to the UI (mouse over a widget, move window, anything at
all):
g_io_win32_check: WSAEnumNetworkEvents (1576, 0x618) revents={}
condition={IN|ERR|HUP} events={}

What seems to happen is that after watching a socket io channel once,
I'll continue to see these messages until I restart the program - even
if the io channel should have been cleaned up by g_source_remove().

Any ideas what could be causing this?
Thanks,

-Daniel