Re: alpha for text?

Paul Pogonyshev wrote:
I have not coded it yet, just pondered about it.  I was going to render
with gdk_draw_layout() to a GdkImage (which is a client-side GdkDrawable,
as said in the reference.)  And that proceed with GdkPixbuf.  So, like
you described, except that layout is rendered directly to a GdkImage.  I
have not tested yet, but from the docs it looks like it should work.
It, actually, should not. GdkImage is not drawable. It's a client-side object with a user-accessible memory, but you can't draw to it in 'normal' way, e.g. with gdk_draw_*(). There's a trick [1] that allows you to do so, but it's X11-backend feature and can give some troubles with gdk_draw_layout() text output.

There're only two types of drawables in GDK: windows and
pixmaps/bitmaps.

BTW, libart has no support for drawing text. GnomeCanvas, based on libart, uses pangoft2 for for text rendering.

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-list/2005-July/msg00077.html

        Olexiy