Re: alpha for text?

John Cupitt wrote:
On 7/15/05, Paul Pogonyshev <pogonyshev gmx net> wrote:
Has anyone rendered text with alpha channel (i.e. semitransparent text)
in GDK framework?  So far my best solution is to render black on white
to a GdkImage, get it back in a GdkPixbuf and then add color/transparency
manually.  Not actually too difficult, but I want to ask in case somebody
can come up with something better.

You can use pangoft2 to render text on the client side and thereby
avoid shipping images back from the server. Not much neater, but quite
a bit quicker.

Can I have a little more information here, please?  I thought GtkImage was
client side.  And if not, is your approach portable all the way back to
GTK+ 2.0?

Paul