alpha for text?

Hi,

Has anyone rendered text with alpha channel (i.e. semitransparent text)
in GDK framework?  So far my best solution is to render black on white
to a GdkImage, get it back in a GdkPixbuf and then add color/transparency
manually.  Not actually too difficult, but I want to ask in case somebody
can come up with something better.

I don't care that it may be a little slow, since I just need to get a
semitransparent letter or two and then just draw them here and there, so
a pre-made GdkPixbuf is OK.

Also, I was thinking about `libart', which I have an indirect dependency
on anyway, through `librsvg'.  Is it worth it doing this through `libart'?

Paul