easy newbie question (I think)

How do I access a particular item in a gtk window?
If I have a window, which contains a box, which contains a button, how do I access the button, when all I have is a pointer to the window?

I hope that was a clear enough question. If so, stop reading. But if not...
Here's my example:

I want to gray out a frame which contains a bunch of controls if a checkbox is checked.

The checkbox's callback includes a user_data, but that is taken up with my class, which has to be passed to the callback, too. My class can contain a pointer to the window (and already contains a pointer to another window, which works). But I don't just want the window, I want a specific frame which is in a vbox in another vbox in the window. Because the window is large and complicated, I create the window in a separate function, so I can't just refer to it directly when getting everything started in main. No matter how I go, I need to access something contained in a window, not just the window itself.

I tried:
myClass->window->vbox1->vbox2->myframe
but that doesn't do it.

Thanks for your help.