Re: [Gimp-developer] Console window on Win32

Michael Torrie writes:
I don't think glib has anything to do with allocating a console window.

Read the source, gmessages.c...

Thus if the app is declared "GUI" then no console window ever
appears, even if you start it from a command prompt.

Indeed. That's exactly why the code to open a console window if needed
(in GUI apps) was added to GLib in the first place (way back in GLib
0.x days, I think), so that there would be some place for writes to
stdout or stderr to go. The thought was that g_warning() etc is used
only for important messages that the user must see.

The catch is, of course, that under win9x, even applications marked as
"windows" will still show a console app if anything is written to
standard out or standard error.

That's interesting, didn't know (or recall) that, but increasingly
irrelevant.

--tml