Re: [Gimp-developer] Console window on Win32

On Sun, 2004-09-12 at 12:50, Iago Rubio wrote:
On Sun, 2004-09-12 at 15:15, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
[snip]
Could we have a raise-of-hands here? Who thinks GLib shouldn't bother
doing that console window allocation stuff at all?

Personally I don't have any preference.

I think it's much better - as default behaviour - avoid to open the
console window.

If anyone wants to check the application's output, he/she can easily
open a DOS prompt and launch the app from there.

I don't think glib has anything to do with allocating a console window.
Isn't this some default windows behavior that can be controlled by flags
to the linker?

From my understanding of the win32 api, whether or not a console window
is shown depends on a flag in the executable.  Thus if the app is
declared "GUI" then no console window ever appears, even if you start it
from a command prompt.  This is fundamentally different from how unix
apps work.

Thus I'm wondering why this is an issue at all.  For debugging purposes,
mark your exe as a console app.  Then for the release, mark it as a
windows app ( -mwindows for gcc).  If glib interferes with this behavior
somehow, then glib should definitely be fixed.

The catch is, of course, that under win9x, even applications marked as
"windows" will still show a console app if anything is written to
standard out or standard error.
--
Michael Torrie <torriem chem byu edu>