Re: disable FileChooser elements?

On Sat, 2004-10-16 at 17:12 -0400, Doug Vetter wrote:
Owen Taylor wrote:
Because people were accessing elements of GtkFileSelection directly
and making assumptions about what they did and how they related,
we were stuck with a widget we couldn't change at all.

With GtkFileChooser, we intentionally made it completely opaque with
customization only through the API. If you think you have a legitimate
use case that isn't handled by the current API, file a bug, and
hopefully we can add support in the next iteration.

Regards,
                                    Owen

I looked over the code a bit more and that's what I feared.  I'll be the
first to admit that people shouldn't grab "private" pointers willy
nilly, but this is a toolkit after all.  It should facilitiate
development -- not impede it.

I can't be the only person who wants to customize the appearance and
features of the file open / save dialog.  I guess I'm faced with two
choices now -- keep the old GtkFileSelection that does what I want or
try to learn the internals of GTK in record time and create the
necessary hide/show methods for the appropriate widgets.  Something
tells me I'll be more successful doing the former, but if I have time
I'll try the latter.

Please do what Owen requested, and open a bug describing your use case,
if you think it is common enough to be supported by the file chooser.
Since you seem to be interested in restricting the users access to
other parts of the file system, maybe the "lockdown" extension Federico
was talking about could be made to do what you want.

Matthias