Re: disable FileChooser elements?

Owen Taylor wrote:
Because people were accessing elements of GtkFileSelection directly
and making assumptions about what they did and how they related,
we were stuck with a widget we couldn't change at all.

With GtkFileChooser, we intentionally made it completely opaque with
customization only through the API. If you think you have a legitimate
use case that isn't handled by the current API, file a bug, and
hopefully we can add support in the next iteration.

Regards,
                                        Owen

I looked over the code a bit more and that's what I feared. I'll be the first to admit that people shouldn't grab "private" pointers willy nilly, but this is a toolkit after all. It should facilitiate development -- not impede it.

I can't be the only person who wants to customize the appearance and features of the file open / save dialog. I guess I'm faced with two choices now -- keep the old GtkFileSelection that does what I want or try to learn the internals of GTK in record time and create the necessary hide/show methods for the appropriate widgets. Something tells me I'll be more successful doing the former, but if I have time I'll try the latter.

Thanks for your response.

-Doug