Re: GTK+-2.4.0 released

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 20:36, Paul Pogonyshev wrote:
Owen Taylor wrote:
New drop-down selection widget

 The GtkComboBox widget replaces the old GtkOptionMenu and
 GtkCombo widgets with a single unified appearance
 and programming interface for both editable and non-editable
 dropdowns. Other enhancements provided include customizability
 of the main display widget and grid layouts for the drop-down
 menu.

I haven't looked at it yet, but I'd like to comment on your deprecation
policy.  It seems somewhat too aggressive to me.  It is quite difficult
to write a program that would compile fine with all GTK+ 2.x versions
with *_DISABLE_DEPRECATED defines.  I cannot use GtkOptionMenu because
it is deprecated since 2.4.  I cannot use GtkComboBox either, because
it didn't exist before 2.4.

I don't really see the point in the exercise.

G_DISABLE_DEPRECATED basically is a way of making sure that you are
using the recommended functions and widgets with the current version
of GTK+. I suppose we could have versioned deprecations
G_DISABLE_DEPRECATED_2_2, but that would be a whole lot more work
to maintain..

If you want to make sure your stuff is working with 2.2, presumably
you are compiling and testing with 2.2. Turning on
G_DISABLE_DEPRECATED when you are doing that is fine if you only
care about stuff we deprecated for 2.2.

Note that you should never ship tarballs with G_DISABLE_DEPRECATED
on, since who knows what will be deprecated in 2.6, 2.8, 2.10, and
because of the way G_DISABLE_DEPRECATED (prototypes are no longer
in the headers), new deprecations could cause subtle mis-compilation.

Regards,
                                                Owen