newbie directions?

hi,

accept my apologies since probably this has been asked. i have already looked on the web and the email list for all the documentation but they are a bit confusing or most of them are for c++ (using gtkmm).

i am a newbie in Gtk. i am trying to implement a graphical application and for that i am using Glade to design the interface, libglade for the translation from the xml file and C with gtk-2.0 for the coding.

my question is: is there a newbie introductory tutorial for these.

secondary questions that i am trying to resolve are:
1. is there a way that glade_get_widget_tree or smth similar to read the widget tree from the xml file by passing as an argument the filename instead of a GtkWidget so i can retrieve a particular widget? 2. how can i populate a gtk combo box entry? preferably from the initialisation. 3. what are the GTK_ENTRY, GTK_EDITABLE, etc? they seem to me like they are macros so they perform casting. but where can i find them?

sorry for these too newbie questions...

thanks,

--
-yiannis