Re: Trying to install GTK

On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 09:58, Warren Sypteras wrote:
See bottom:

On 10 Mar 2003 09:03:06 -0500
  Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote:
On Sun, 2003-03-09 at 21:21, slbubba wrote:
Folks;

Trying to install GTK I started with glib-2.2.1.tar.gz
first and all
went well.  I did have to install pkg-config which I got
from the
pkg-config web site and that went well also.

When trying to install GTK-2.2.1 I got the message that
atk wasn't
installed so I proceeded to install that package.  This
is where the
problem lies.

During the ./configure process for atk-1.2.0.tar.gz I
get the following:

checking for GLIB - version >= 2.0.0...
*** 'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returned 2.2.1,
but GLIB (2.0.6)
*** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is
best
*** to remove the old version of GLib. You may also be
able to fix the error
*** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment
variable, or by editing
*** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if
that is
*** required on your system.
*** If pkg-config was wrong, set the environment
variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH
*** to point to the correct configuration files
no
configure: error:
*** GLIB 2.0.0 or better is required. The latest version
of
*** GLIB is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.

No matter what I do I can't get past this point.  In the
beginning it
was complaining the the glib found was V1.2 (which was
in the /usr/lib
dir along with 2.0.so.0.0.6).  After renaming the old
glib (couldn't
remove it because of dependancies) I started getting the
message above.

Anyone know how to juggle things to get around this?

In /usr/lib is:
libglib-2.0.so.0.0.6 and  libglib-1.2.so.0.0.10

In /usr/local/lib is:
libglib-2.0.la and  libglib-2.0.so.0.200.1

The error message above is supposed to be pretty
descriptive :-)

The simplest thing, don't have multiple versions of
GLib-2.0 around ...
there isn't a point, and it just invites problems.

One straightforward (though some would say unclean) way
of doing things
is to simply to install over your system's version of
GLib, by
configuring with

 ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc

The clean thing to do is to find/make packages of
GLib-2.2.1
that can be used to replace your system's older version.

Or, as the error message says, you can edit
/etc/ld.so.conf
and/or set LD_LIBRARY_PATH so libraries in /usr/local are
found before those in /usr.

Thanks for the reply.  I tried editing /etc/ld.so.conf
putting /usr/local/ first, then ran ldconfig but it
appears to ignore the order.  The ldconfig -v still lists
/usr/lib
before /usr/local/lib.

I tried doing an rpm -e on the older installed glib but it
won't remove due to several other packages depending on
it.  Frankly, I'm afraid to force the removal and install
the newer libs in it's place since this tends to cause
problems with other packages that want the current glib
version.

So what would you suggest I do to force atk to use
/usr/local/lib?

For ld.so.conf ordering, a quick search turned up:

 http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-alpha/2001-08/msg00296.html

You can:

 a) set LD_LIBRARY_PATH
 b) Install glib/../gtk+ over your system packages
    using ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
 c) Install glib/../gtk+ 2.2.1 binary packages
    that replace the system packages.

Regards,
                                  Owen