Re: Trying to install GTK

See bottom:

On 10 Mar 2003 09:03:06 -0500
 Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote:
On Sun, 2003-03-09 at 21:21, slbubba wrote:
Folks;

Trying to install GTK I started with glib-2.2.1.tar.gz first and all went well. I did have to install pkg-config which I got from the pkg-config web site and that went well also.

When trying to install GTK-2.2.1 I got the message that atk wasn't installed so I proceeded to install that package. This is where the problem lies.

During the ./configure process for atk-1.2.0.tar.gz I get the following:
checking for GLIB - version >= 2.0.0...
*** 'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returned 2.2.1, but GLIB (2.0.6) *** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is best *** to remove the old version of GLib. You may also be able to fix the error *** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing *** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is
*** required on your system.
*** If pkg-config was wrong, set the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH
*** to point to the correct configuration files
no
configure: error:
*** GLIB 2.0.0 or better is required. The latest version of
*** GLIB is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.

No matter what I do I can't get past this point. In the beginning it was complaining the the glib found was V1.2 (which was in the /usr/lib dir along with 2.0.so.0.0.6). After renaming the old glib (couldn't remove it because of dependancies) I started getting the message above.

Anyone know how to juggle things to get around this?

In /usr/lib is:
libglib-2.0.so.0.0.6 and  libglib-1.2.so.0.0.10

In /usr/local/lib is:
libglib-2.0.la and  libglib-2.0.so.0.200.1

The error message above is supposed to be pretty descriptive :-)

The simplest thing, don't have multiple versions of GLib-2.0 around ... there isn't a point, and it just invites problems. One straightforward (though some would say unclean) way of doing things is to simply to install over your system's version of GLib, by
configuring with

 ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc

The clean thing to do is to find/make packages of GLib-2.2.1 that can be used to replace your system's older version.

Or, as the error message says, you can edit /etc/ld.so.conf and/or set LD_LIBRARY_PATH so libraries in /usr/local are found before those in /usr.

Thanks for the reply. I tried editing /etc/ld.so.conf putting /usr/local/ first, then ran ldconfig but it appears to ignore the order. The ldconfig -v still lists /usr/lib
before /usr/local/lib.

I tried doing an rpm -e on the older installed glib but it
won't remove due to several other packages depending on it. Frankly, I'm afraid to force the removal and install the newer libs in it's place since this tends to cause problems with other packages that want the current glib version.

So what would you suggest I do to force atk to use /usr/local/lib?
Thanks

Warren

Regards,
                                            Owen