Re: what is perfect IDE for gtk development?

On Sun, 2003-06-01 at 18:54, G Hasse wrote:
On Sat, 31 May 2003, Ian Bell wrote:

A singularly unhelpful reply, one not worthy of this list.

I just wanted to point out that an IDE to develop applications in
Unix like environment is not a good idea. So what you regarded as
an unhelpful reply is infact a pointer to a better strategy (in
the long run).
I think the confusion was that the idea was presented in a way that
didn't make much sence.  The original poster asked about IDE's so it is
not always the best thing to tell them that they should change their
thinking.  At least not without starting with "In my opinion".  It could
turn them off to developing in Unix/Linux at all.

It is a BAD mistake to reinvent the Windows environment in
Unix. It is better to learn tools that will hold not only today
but also tomorrow and in Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, MacOS/X,
AIX, HP/UX etc.

Choice is good.  IDE's are good.  At home I often export X and run
Anjuta 2 over the line.  I do mostly GUI stuff at home and GTK+ apps
work over the wire quite good. Exspecialy the 2.0 branch.

At work I work on servers in which case I just use ssh and vi.  But
there I realy don't need an IDE since I work mostly in bash, perl,
python, and php with some C thrown into the mix.

In the Unix environment you very often have to amend programs
located on other machines than your own. (It might have
a nother operating system).
But most of the time people work in a strict enviornment (they know what OS's
they use).  You can't dictate that to somone.  They know what they work in and
if an IDE makes them more productive in that enviornment then they should use
an IDE

We at Raditex have for exampel a small network demonstration
program, that runs in Windows. What happens is that we had to
set aside one computer with Windows95. One computer with Windows98,
one computer with WindowsNT, one computer with Windows 2000 and
one computer with WindowsXP. Then we have to run like rats between
those mashines to test the application. This is NOT an environment
for a professional programmer...

You still have to do that when deploying to any target OS.  Linux or
Unix doesn't (and even differen't distros and versions of the same
distro) don't magicly give you portability.  There are issues with
each.  Ssh makes it easyer if the app does not require me to be physicly
in front of the computer but even then the testing phase is always
tedious.

Oh and if you don't want to run around to different computers why not
use VMWare to load all the windows version on one machine?

--
J5