input module / application priority

In my application, I have an entry box that checks its input whenever the Enter key is pressed.

I use im-ja gtk2 input module to input japanese into the textbox.
Enter is used to confirm the right text for the input module.

It seems that my application gets the event first, before the input method does. That is, my application doesn't see any of the freshly inputted text, and then the key event is sent to the input module which then committs the text, but at this point it's too late.

Is there any way to get around this problem.
(For temporary relief, I added another key to im-ja as confirm key.)