Re: 24-bit-per-pixel limit to Gdk RGB ?

On Tuesday, February 18, 2003, at 02:09 PM, Michael L Torrie wrote:

On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 08:08, individual wrote:

Wait... we must be misunderstanding each other. Last night I realised
that for Gtk to be limited to 8-bit colour is absolutely ludicrous! Gtk
is the Gimp Toolkit, and the Gimp is for hight quality images!

No.  Gimp is limited to 24-bit color.  Film gimp, on the other hand,
uses 16-bit per channel (I think)--48-bit, just like what you're trying
to do--making it more suitable for work on film.  See
http://filmgimp.sourceforge.net.  However, on XFree86, even Film Gimp
will still have to render to a 24-bpp display.

That's interesting. I was always under the imprsesion that we have left 24bpp displays far behind. Here's what my system says:

Resolution        Video Memory
                                   8MB
                             (SGRAM)

640 x 480               32-bit
800 x 600             32-bit
1024 x 768          32-bit

Ok, last attempt: I made a 1000 pixel wide gradient going from 255 red
to 254 red. In the colour selection panel, I can clearly see the
difference between the two colours. When I draw the gradient, there is
no dividing line. HA! I have therefore proved that The Gimp and my X
server  are capable of displaying colour at more than 8 bits per
channel. Or have I?

Now you have 2 bands of color, each about 500 pixels wide.  So you'll
definitely see it.  The less colors you have and the wider the bands,
the more noticable it is.

I didn't see the difference on screen, though I clearly saw the difference in the foreground/background colours in the tool palette. Someone else explained that this because of dithering.

Nope you haven't proven anything.  You're still drawing 8-bits per
channel.  Do an 'xdpyinfo' and you'll see the visual is 24 bpp.

Yes, as a matter of fact the xserver does report a display depth of 24.

 Nothing
you can do will change that.  To display a 48-bpp image ona 24bpp
screen, you need to chop the least significant bits off each channel
(shift right) until each channel is 8-bits. Then you can render it to a
24 bpp screen and get a decent approximation.

Eek.... I was hoping for greater bit depth, but I'm getting more and more convinced that it's pointless to try and render a 48 bpp image at 48 bpp screen depth when screens are at most 24bpp deep.

Thanks for the info!

Paul