Can you get asleep and be awakened?

Hello,

I am developing this free file manager (see screenshots and
download it at http://segusoland.sourceforge.net ! It is already working.)
with SWI-prolog and GTK+, and I need to schedule actions to be executed in
the future. For example, you could choose to shut down the computer at a
precise time.

I don't know where to start. I know that I need to register myself to some
kind of timer and get asleep. But where? I already get asleep waiting for a
GTK event... I cannot be sleeping in two places. So I guess GTK should
provide this kind of functionality (awaking you at a precidse time). Could
you please give me some hint, so we can all use my program :-) ?

Thank you.
--
Best Regards,
Maurizio Colucci