Re: Can you get asleep and be awakened?

I thought cron jobs were supposed to be used to achieve tasks at certain times, presuming the tasks you're talking about are external programs, not something within the program. This is the case here, yes? I presumed so because you spoke of shutting down. That example wasn't a particularly good one though because you can just type `shutdown 12:45` to shut down at 12:45 or `shutdown +15` to shut down in 15 minutes.

Making your application keep a list of programs to run (etc.) while also running some sort of cron daemon seems a bit silly, cron is there for that purpose. I, personally, think you'd be better off creating cron jobs if you could and avoid turning your program into another cron daemon.

Well, everything aside, I must say I like the look of your project. It's a very interesting idea. I hope to be using it some time in the future.

Regards,
        Stuart Gilbert.

Maurizio Colucci wrote:
Hello,
I am developing this free file manager (see screenshots and
download it at http://segusoland.sourceforge.net ! It is already working.) with SWI-prolog and GTK+, and I need to schedule actions to be executed in the future. For example, you could choose to shut down the computer at a precise time. I don't know where to start. I know that I need to register myself to some kind of timer and get asleep. But where? I already get asleep waiting for a GTK event... I cannot be sleeping in two places. So I guess GTK should provide this kind of functionality (awaking you at a precidse time). Could you please give me some hint, so we can all use my program :-) ?
Thank you.