gtk menu

I'am currenyly making one menu in gtk, it must launch
the selected application and when the insert key was
pressed it must appear over the currently application,
with the focus over it.

My problems are:

1) If the application have the focus i can't know when
the insert key was pressed.

2) If i use the function gdk_keyboard_grab, i obtain
access to the keyboard events outside my application,
but the application currently running don't have
access to the keyboard events and i can't type in.

Thanks for your help and good luck

Daniel Pezoa