Re: Re: Gtk beginner doubts....................

Thanks for your reply. Still i have some more points to be cleared. My application should run on Windows/Unix/Linux OS. I heard that GNOME is for Linux and not for windows. Is there any windows version of GNOME? Is it possible to make my application become OS independent using GNOME?

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 John Coppens wrote :
On 19 Aug 2003 04:04:58 -0000
"Suresh  Kumar" <suresh_vsamy rediffmail com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Iam new to Gtk+. I have selected GTk+ for my project. Before
> proceed with reading documents, I expect some points to be
> cleared.
>
>    In my application i draw a stack of rectangles, one above
> another, by
> reading the co-ordinates from a text file. After displaying the > rectangles, I have to provide editing operations like moving,
> resizing,
> zooming, etc., on them.
>
>    I have enough knowledge in tool kits (like tcl/tk,
> python/tkinter).
> In most of all tool kits the drawing area is called as "Canvas"
> which
> is a special window used for drawing items like
> circle,rectangles,
> lines, etc.,. Is there any canvas in Gtk?

You can draw in Gtk, but you will probably want to do things a little more
structured, so look for the GnomeCanvas:

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/GGAD/cha-canvas.html
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/libgnomeui/gnomecanvas.html

John

> In other tool kits, when an item is drawn on the canvas, it
> returns
> an Id, which could be used for further selection of the item.
> Apart
> from that, users can also give their own "Id" or "tag" to an
> item. Is
> that mechanism is adopted in Gtk?

GnomeCanvas does that with GnomeCanvasItems

>    Is Gtk+ is platform independent?

Gtk is not Java, but runs on many platforms, including Windows, after
recompilation.

John

Meet your old school or college friends from
1 Million + database...
Click here to reunite www.batchmates.com/rediff.asp