Re: Programmer's criticism of GTK2

"Norman Black" <stonybrk ix netcom com> writes:
Since the developers were aware of the additional coding necessary, to
no effect for simple usage, and that no simple API existed, "The GTK
developers apparently decided to blow that off." I said "apparently"
since other trains of thought could exist.

Don't try to retroactively microanalyze the language. You posted a
sarcastic complaint and got sarcasm in response.  Live with it.  I've
politely answered thousands of questions/comments/suggestions in the
past as you know, and personally killed many many FAQs via API
simplifications in GTK 2. I carefully monitor this list for FAQs and
problems that people should not have to encounter, and make sure those
go into bugzilla and result in API revisions if I can figure out a
way. And the other GTK developers do that as well.

If you want a translation into less confrontational language (not that
I called you any names, I didn't):

 a) people are doing their best but can't implement everything at once
    or be omniscient
 b) they are doing it for free for the benefit of you and others
 c) anyone can contribute to both design and implementation
    if they have better ideas
 d) anyone can submit bugs and feature requests at
    http://bugzilla.gnome.org to be sure those
    issues are tracked and not forgotten

The #1 complaint about CList was lack of flexibility. TreeView is
absolutely a response to developer feedback. It isn't perfect but it
will evolve.

Havoc