Re: directory selection dialog

On Fri, 2002-06-28 at 18:19, Oliver Rauch wrote:

Hello.

I am looking for a directory selection dialog,
comparable to gtk_fileselction.

Although it is possible to use gtk_fileselection_*
to select directories (I hide the file selection box)
the behaviour is not very intuitive.

When you click a "directory" once then you get the following:

Selection: /first/part/of/the/path
  "directory"

and the returned path is:

/first/part/of/the/path/"directory"

This often confuses the users because it would make more
sense that the returned path is the path listed in
the "Selection" part. The lower text box does not
make sense for selecting directories.

Is there a way to change the behaviour of gtk_fileselection
for selecting directories or is there an other widget/window
to do this?

I have a problem similar to this. I would like directories and files to
be selectable...But when trying to select a directory, and not a file
and pressing ok, it returns the path to the current directory but
nothing else.
It doesn't seem you are able to return a directory name when chosen...

If this isn't possible, how would one go about having a "directory only"
selection box like Oliver wants.  Or rather...instead of having the file
selector box split directory and file, have directory listed at the top
of a list of files and the files underneath where they're both treated
the same way when pressing ok or Enter on the "selected file area" but
when you double click them in the list it will either do nothing or
enter the directory and of course you can have a list of files or
directories selected.

That method makes sense to me but I'm betting i'd have to create the
widget from the ground up to do that .  heh.