Clering text in gtk_text box

Hi,
   Im developing a test application where in i have a
text box that contains data to be copied into the
testapp and sent down to a driver ..on the click of a
button the corresponding callback issues an IOCTL to
the driver using the data entered by the user in the
text box ..now i need to clear off this text box after
each click of this button
Currently im using
gtk_text_backward_delete(gtk_get_length(textbox))
before displaying the data on the text box after
returning from the driver ..this works for me as long
as i have the same data ..now

For eg if i had written sam initally in the text box
and issued ioctl multiple times the data displayed
back would be fine now if i change sam and write ram
in the text box and then click the button i get
"samram" i.le the previous contents of the text box
are concatenated with the current text..

 Id Really appreciate it if someone could help me out
of this problem

Thanks in Advance,
Som