Re: Commercial GTK+ development tool

But, AFAIK, Glade puts all widget creation in one file, and callbacks in
another.
XML, I repeat XML, not the source code generation.
I know there are plans to put them in separate files on per
window basis, but it is a future. But for bigger than small projects it
is a pain. It also doesn't have a possibly to edit the code.
This make no sense to me.
Anjuta uses
Glade and gives you other thing you want (eg. editor etc.). But it is
still not something comparable to eg. BC++ Builder.
If you want Builder use it.  Don't drag GTK into it.
Kdevelop - Excellemt IDE environment that allows integrated debugging of programs to the point where you
can see the variable values in a tree view.  Again, very VB type integration.
Don't know it, but it is not using GTK+ and all below also.
Kdevelop is the KDE development environment that allows for multiple targets including Gnome apps.

Labviews - Very high end, but a great application under Linux.
If you think about LabView from NI, it is not for general type
programming. It is best for process automation in industry. And yes,
it's great, and I'm happy with it (but I have only Windows version), but
I wouldn't use it to produce desktop applications :)
Labviews is a "Builder type" app that allows very high level generation
of code.

Before you start coding, look at the Borland site. They are going to
release BC++ Builder for Linux. But who knows when? ;)
Anyway it can be hard to compete with them. And I think more people will
use it than Kylix, because more unix people like C (this is only my
assumption). And maybe they learn a little from problems people had with
Kylix.
Any Borland compiler is not even in the same class as the gcc compiler.  If
Borland uses gcc as its compiler that would be great otherwise I would steer
clear.

Personally I would like to have a professional builder for gtk+.
gtk+ is a widget set/windowing system of many different sets under linux.  KDE
is another mature widget set/windowing system.  Having a "builder" is just a
way of saying something that is easy to use and isolates the details.  I am
going to guess you don't get very much choice of the "look and feel" of a Builder
produced application.  I am also going to guess that the amount of "control"
you get from the gtk+ widget set using the XML generation of windows is going
to be similar to a the amount of control you get of a Builder app.  Both instances
you are going to have to delve into the internals of the system to do anything
out of the ordinary.

I guess the whole thing that threw me was why buy it?  Build it, share it, let
everyone debug it.  You will take more time and have less of a product if you
"close source" it.  That is a fact unless you have thousands of dollars to throw
at it.

Frank