Re: Commercial GTK+ development tool

On Thu, 2002-07-11 at 02:06, Frank wrote:
I have been musing about the possibility of a commercially developed and marketed Rapid Application
Development Environment (i.e. Delphi) using GTK+ (and possibly support for GNOME widgets) as the base
widget set. This may not be the forum to ask the following questions, but here goes anyway (I AM SURE
FLAMES ARE SOON TO FOLLOW :):

My thoughts are that these tools already exist in one form or another ie:

Glade - Excellent use of XML. A GTK+ program can use the actual XML file to produce the widgets dynamically
without recompiling.  It even supports attaching widgets to functions.  Very VB like integration.  I found
this feature excessively easy to use.
But, AFAIK, Glade puts all widget creation in one file, and callbacks in
another. I know there are plans to put them in separate files on per
window basis, but it is a future. But for bigger than small projects it
is a pain. It also doesn't have a possibly to edit the code. Anjuta uses
Glade and gives you other thing you want (eg. editor etc.). But it is
still not something comparable to eg. BC++ Builder.
Kdevelop - Excellemt IDE environment that allows integrated debugging of programs to the point where you
can see the variable values in a tree view.  Again, very VB type integration.
Don't know it, but it is not using GTK+ and all below also.
Kylix - A fully supported rapid application development environment that is cross compatible with Delphi.
It is also free for non-commercial use.  The liscense for commericial use it very reasonable.  Support for
databases and networking among other things.

Vtcl - A tcl/tk visual editor that is free and easy to use.

Labviews - Very high end, but a great application under Linux.
If you think about LabView from NI, it is not for general type
programming. It is best for process automation in industry. And yes,
it's great, and I'm happy with it (but I have only Windows version), but
I wouldn't use it to produce desktop applications :)

Before you start coding, look at the Borland site. They are going to
release BC++ Builder for Linux. But who knows when? ;)
Anyway it can be hard to compete with them. And I think more people will
use it than Kylix, because more unix people like C (this is only my
assumption). And maybe they learn a little from problems people had with
Kylix.

Personally I would like to have a professional builder for gtk+.

Regards,

Olaf