Re: GIOChannel and german umlauts

On Tue, Dec 24, 2002 at 06:04:39PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
Is there any way to set the function called by g_io_channel_read_line()
to convert the input from the socket? Using g_convert_with_callback()
would help me.

I would guess that you can at the very least set the encoding to NULL
and do all the conversion yourself, though.

The following is working:
* set the encoding to ISO-8859-1 (as the text *is* encoded like that)
* convert the strings between UTF8 and locale using
  g_convert_with_fallback. That way I can simply replace unknown
  characters with a space, for example.

Now what would be great if I could make g_convert choose replacements
for unknown characters, like replace the german "a:" with "ae".
But I'd guess I had to do that manually if it would work at all.

And I think it's acceptable that user with a locale that doesn't know
umlauts etc cannot see and access those characters...

Anyway, thanks for your patience and help,
        Tilman