Re: GIOChannel and german umlauts

Tilman Sauerbeck <tilman code-monkey de> writes:

Hi,
I'm writing an application that uses GIOChannel for communication over
a socket.
On the other side, input is sent as ISO-8859-1.

In my app, I'm not setting a encoding for the GIOChannel, i.e. encoding
is NULL. Now when I'm sending or receiving text that contains special
characters such as german umlauts, my application segfaults when
LC_CTYPE is not set to a locale that supports those characters:
e.g., when running with LC_CTYPE=de_DE it's working fine while running
with LC_CTYPE=POSIX will crash.

Setting the GIOChannels encoding to ISO-8859-1 doesn't help either.

"Doens't help" in what sense? It should convert the ISO-8859-1
to UTF-8. Which is genererally what you'd want in a GTK+-2.0 app.
(But remember, that you're users won't all be using ISO-8859-1)

Note that the default for GIOChannel is UTF-8, if you want no
conversion, you need to set the explicitely.

This is described in:

 http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/glib/glib-IO-Channels.html#g-io-channel-unix-new

Regards,
                                        Owen