Re: Toolbar separators

Havoc Pennington wrote:

Ed Symanzik <zik msu edu> writes:

At a lower level, why is there a single toolbar widget
with a selectable orientation, but two separate
separators with fixed orientations?  Why not
gtk_separator_new(GTK_ORIENTATION_HORIZONTAL)?

Historical reasons; I think "Motif did it that way" is probably the
answer that reaches furthest back into history. (I don't know if Motif
had separators, but I think it has the H/V widgets instead of single
widgets that rotate.)

Hmm,

AFAIK, the opposite is true:
* Gtk in all cases I know uses separate H/V widget variants (Scale,
Separator etc.)
* Motif uses orientation resources (XmNortientation) and unified
widgets for the H/V cases.

Ralf.