Toolbar separators

Newbie alert.

I am using Glade to write a helloworld project.

gnome_app_new gives me a nice, dockable toolbar that
the user can orient vertically or horizontally.  Cool.
The vseparator I added remains vertical.  Not cool.

I can catch the orientation changes ok, but how do I
switch between a vseparator and a hseparator?

At a lower level, why is there a single toolbar widget
with a selectable orientation, but two separate
separators with fixed orientations?  Why not
gtk_separator_new(GTK_ORIENTATION_HORIZONTAL)?

Thanks for your patience.

/zik