Re: A newbie question...

On Sun, 19 Aug 2001 20:06:49 -0400, Mauro Ferreira said:

 > Would this complicate things for the user? I've seen many `similar'
 > ways to compile stuff and they never really seem to work.

 Well, this is working very well for me....

Okay but my best advice of caution on that is that there's a
99% chance that it won't work for others based on statistical
history.

Now if you're an experienced coder and platform negotiator I'd
void the above but since yer asking basic questions about GTK+,
you know... it might be a while longer before that methoid would
be refined to work. I mean like how many times have you written
a module and compiled it the first time without errors?  I'm pretty
sure no coder has ;)

 > Maybe your putting too much GTK dependencies and levels of IO (ie
 > that mysql stuff) and making it complicated. GTK+ 1.3 is not the
 > same as the stable GTK+ 1.2.x.

 Then is stable enough. Is doing well things that are impossible under
 M$FC.

Ummm m'kay.

 > If your doing this now why are you getting into MySQL? Is there
 > a reason you need to learn both in parallel?

 All my apps are database related - specially mysql related. And my
 samples are just tests to compare mysql compatibility with GTK+..... and
 i discovered that GNU mingw 2.95.2 with GTK+ 1.3 and mysql 3.23.40 are
 FULL compatible - my samples with this combo got best results and are
 more stable than M$FC counterparts. This implied to me that's learn
 GTK/GDK is a good path to jump to linux.

Well ummm I don't see how mysql and GTK+ are related, one is a GUI
toolkit another is a database, I don't see the connection.
Can't you learn GTK+ first then go on to MySQL?

 > I'm confused at your approach, why are you going into an integrated
 > development, using GTK+ with MySQL when you haven't understood
 > GDK yet?

 Because first i needed to test GTK with mysql and mingw 2.95.2 to see if
 this 'combo' is a good path to convert my apps for then jump to linux.
 The result was so good that now i'm starting to learn all about GTK/GDK,
 because now i'm sure that i'll can port all my apps to linux without any
 undesirable surprise - even the IDE i'm using (Dev-C++) have a linux
 port !

 That's it : Now i'm a GTK/GDK newbie. And thanks a lot for all clues and
 sugestions you all did for me. Thanks for the clues i already did
 because this pointed i'm in the right way, and thanks for all new for me
 because i have a lot to learn about ! If anyone can point some new
 clues, this will be wellcome too !

Well to be honest I think your approach is very obtuse and
really isn't the best approach possible.

But if you have any questions about GTK+ and related things feel
free to ask on the list :)

Sincerely,                  ,"-_                         \|/
-Capt. Taura M.             ,   O=__                    --X--
.__                          ,_JNMNNEO=_                 /|\
OMNOUMmnne.                  {OMMNNNEEEEOO=_
UOOOBIOOOEOMMn.               'LONMMMMNNEEEOOO=.__..,,..
UUOOEUUOOOOOOOObe              '"=OMMMMWNEEEOOOOO,"=OEEEOO=,._
OOUUUIEEIOONNOIUbe.                "7OMMMMNNNNNWWEEEEOOOOOO"   "'.
EEBNNMMMNWNWWEEIMMNe.             __  7EMMMNNNNNWWWEEEEEEEOO.     " .
NNMMMMWWWMMMWEINMMMNn            "=BBEEEEMMMMMMMMNNNWWWEEOOOOO=._     .
                  http://furry.ao.net/~learfox/