Re: [gthumb-list] Memories of gthumb

On 12/16/2015 11:51 AM, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
photos that you don't need. It used to be a click-shiftclick-delete and
done, now it's a click-oh no why has it opened the photo-dammit-shake
fist at screen.

Actually, this bothers me too.

Paolo - if you attempt to select a range of images in the browser, the
first click opens the viewer, so you have to use click / escape (to
close viewer) / shift-click, instead of just click / shift-click.

It feels unnatural and awkward. Can we go back to double-click to open
the viewer, leaving single-click free for selecting?

- Mike

Some more thoughts from the peanut gallery:

*   The current thumbnail selection behaviour also bothers me.  I would
also appreciate a move back to the old single-click select, double-click
open behaviour.  I don't know what the best equivalent on a tablet would be.

*   I wish that the full-screen presentation view had a some sort of
read-only comment display like what gThumb 2.x had. Currently, it's
possible to open the comment editor dialog from the presentation view,
but this is less than ideal for slide shows.

*   There is some sort of issue with updating the comment preview in the
thumbnail view after editing comments: new comments sometimes appear and
sometimes don't. I haven't figured out the details.

*   The bug database for gThumb is a mess.  There are 365 open issues,
some of which haven't been touched in *eleven years*.  Until Michael
updated a few of them today, it looked like no one had paid any
attention to the bug list in since September.  A large number of the
open bugs are probably obsolete, and quite a few are feature requests
that will probably never be implemented.  It would be nice if someone on
the development team could clear out all of the old cruft that will
never be looked at and can then make a point of periodically checking
the new bugs, even if for no other reason than to let the world know
that the bug database isn't being completely ignored.  After watching my
report of a data loss bug languish unacknowledged for months, I've been
seriously considering submitting a patch to remove my name from the
contributors list.

*   If anyone misses the old "BestFit" photo album template, I've
written a new version that no longer depends on gThumb's web export
mechanism but that still consumes its metadata.  You can get it from
https://github.com/rdegraaf/dyphal.  It's in a beta state; I've been
using it for my own photo album for over a year, but it has some known
rough edges.  If you give it a try and have any feedback, please contact
me off-list.

Rennie