Re: [gthumb-list] ext branch first impressions

Paolo Bacchilega wrote:
Speed was one of my goals when rewriting the code, I noticed that in the

Good job!

I don't think a standard user wants to change the importer preferences every single time he imports photos from a camera, I don't know why this happens to you, maybe you want to list your use cases so I can better understand your needs. The group-by-month option seems useful to me, on the other hand if the custom format can be avoided I'll be happier because it's really hard to understand even for an advanced user.

I switch constantly between three use cases:

- personal photos to /photos/2009-08 (i.e., grouped by month)
- my son's photos to /photos/2009-08-John (custom format, yyyy-mm-John)
- work photos to /workdir/new (no grouping at all)

The trunk UI accommodates all that very nicely. I think any serious photographer will have their own organizing scheme, which is why the custom format codes are nice to have. The ability to combine something like "Smith Wedding" and the date will be handy.

I'm not saying the trunk UI is perfect. But it is useful!

- Mike