Re: [gthumb-list] ext branch first impressions

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak ha scritto:
Hi Paolo & everyone,

After a few minor fixes, I've managed to compile and run the ext branch.

The new tree view looks really nice, although there are still some FIXMEs in the code (clicking and double-clicking should expand the folders, for example).

Things feel faster too, though I'm not sure why.

Speed was one of my goals when rewriting the code, I noticed that in the previous code every single file was read many times from the hard drive, for example to read metadata or the image data itself, and this slowed down file loading for sure. Now I try to load a file only once, for example you can notice that the exiv2 code reads the metadata from a memory buffer and not directly from the file as happened before

I'm not so happy with the importer UI, though. I don't like how the destination settings are in a second preferences dialog, and I don't like how my group-by-month and group-by-custom-format-code features are gone. Personally, I'm always changing destinations and grouping methods and I miss the functionality and everything-in-one-dialog UI of the trunk version.
The previous import dialog was too scary for a standard user, let's find a good compromise between options and simplicity. I don't think a standard user wants to change the importer preferences every single time he imports photos from a camera, I don't know why this happens to you, maybe you want to list your use cases so I can better understand your needs. The group-by-month option seems useful to me, on the other hand if the custom format can be avoided I'll be happier because it's really hard to understand even for an advanced user.

Is the importer extension disabled by default intentionally?
No, it's a bug. The default extensions are in gthumb/gth-main.c#gth_main_activate_extensions and the photo_importer is still not listed.

The "Properties" (exif, iptc, etc) entries are shown in very tiny text on my system. Perhaps there should be a +/- zoom control for that.
Before adding a zoom control, let's see if we can find a value that works good in any case

There is a "Metadata" button, but it doesn't show exif metadata. It's the old comments stuff. I don't think it should be called "Metadata" if it doesn't show exif metadata. (Also, the dialog that appears is labeled "Properties", but it is different than the sidebar properties treeview.)

The metadata dialog is extensible and EXIF and IPTC tabs will be added in the future

Anyway, I hope this feedback is useful.
Useful and appreciated :)

I want to write a document that explains how the new code works so it'll be easier for you and others to contribute

- Mike