Re: GTetrinet proper UTF-8 support patch

Daniel Carbonell Fraj wrote:

Well, for internationalized servers the best thing to do is just use
UTF-8, since it can encode every known character¹ (correct me if I'm
wrong). I don't know if the windows client can properly render UTF-8
characters, but I really don't mind.

I don't know what are the issues that you're mentioning here, but I
think that porting a Tetrinet server to UTF-8 shouldn't be a lot of work
(I'm just guessing). If there is a good reason to extend the protocol in
the way you say and to not port the server to UTF-8, just tell us and
we'll think what we do :D

Aside from this, it's true that the rest of the Tetrinet clients will
get UTF-8 encoded strings, but hey, it's time to move forward :)

¹ Not taking alien glyphs into account here, but don't worry, there is
room for them :)

The issue is not really to port the server to UTF-8, for Jetrix it's just a matter of changing a constant and recompiling the server. The issue is to support several clients simultaneously with different encodings. At some point the client has to tell the server the encoding used to let the server translate the message properly for the other clients, otherwise the other clients will see garbage when a gtetrinet user sends non ASCII characters.

Emmanuel Bourg