Re: GTetrinet proper UTF-8 support patch

El lun, 21-03-2005 a las 07:22 +0100, Emmanuel Bourg escribió:
> Daniel Carbonell Fraj wrote:
>
> > It rocks !! As I said before, I've already committed it. This is the
> > right way to implement UTF-8, not that crap of code I wrote some time
> > ago :)
>
> Hi, does it imply that gtetrinet is now sending strings in UTF8 to the
> server ? If so this may be an issue for the internationalized servers,
> especially Jetrix which is assuming that messages from tetrinet clients
> are encoded in ISO-8859-1. We may have to extend the standard protocol
> to inform the server of the prefered encoding used by a specific client,
> something similar to the Accept-Encoding header for the http protocol.

Well, for internationalized servers the best thing to do is just use
UTF-8, since it can encode every known character¹ (correct me if I'm
wrong). I don't know if the windows client can properly render UTF-8
characters, but I really don't mind.

I don't know what are the issues that you're mentioning here, but I
think that porting a Tetrinet server to UTF-8 shouldn't be a lot of work
(I'm just guessing). If there is a good reason to extend the protocol in
the way you say and to not port the server to UTF-8, just tell us and
we'll think what we do :D

Aside from this, it's true that the rest of the Tetrinet clients will
get UTF-8 encoded strings, but hey, it's time to move forward :)

¹ Not taking alien glyphs into account here, but don't worry, there is
room for them :)

--
#include <gnome.h>

// By Daniel Carbonell Fraj, mamón itinerante
// Public GnuPG key gpg --recv-keys --keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net 73D91D7E