Can this be done with goocanvas?

Hi,

goocanvas plays nice with my map application. But of course there's always some feature
to ask for :-)

There are two things so far that i would have a need for. These are:

- I'd like to place something in the canvas that isn't affected by scrolling and zooming.
 This is a compass rose and e.g. a scale (which of course needs to be updated on zooming).
 Can this be done with goocanvas? If goocanvas doesn't support this i might just do it
 aside the map instead on top of it.

- I'd like to be able to determine in which segment a polyline is being hit by item_at. Something
  like "this coordinate is on the line segment between points x and y". My mapping application
  has a use for it if one wants to cut ways. But normal sketching applications may have a very
  similar use for this. Can this be done with goocanvas?

Regards,
  Till