Re: Can this be done with goocanvas?

On Sat, 2008-10-18 at 21:42 +0200, Till Harbaum / Lists wrote:
> Hi,
>
> goocanvas plays nice with my map application. But of course there's always some feature
> to ask for :-)

That's the problem with a canvas widget. The list of possible features
is almost limitless.

> There are two things so far that i would have a need for. These are:
>
> - I'd like to place something in the canvas that isn't affected by scrolling and zooming.
>  This is a compass rose and e.g. a scale (which of course needs to be updated on zooming).
>  Can this be done with goocanvas? If goocanvas doesn't support this i might just do it
>  aside the map instead on top of it.

This is mentioned in the TODO. I did try to add it at one point but
didn't get too far.

> - I'd like to be able to determine in which segment a polyline is being hit by item_at. Something
>   like "this coordinate is on the line segment between points x and y". My mapping application
>   has a use for it if one wants to cut ways. But normal sketching applications may have a very
>   similar use for this. Can this be done with goocanvas?

No, it can't be done at present. It sounds mildly useful. The only
problem is that if it was added then people might expect similar
functionality in other items like GooCanvasPath which might be harder.

Damon