Re: Request for goffice relicensing

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 21:51 +0100, J.M. Maurer wrote:
On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 15:47 -0500, Morten Welinder wrote:
After discussing this on our mailing list, our preferred solution seems
to be a relicensing of goffice, from GPLv2 to GPLv2+.

Would this be an option that all copyright holders of gofffice could
live with? If so, we'd created appreciate it.

Probably.  You might want to start by creating a list of the problematic
files and who they list as holders of copyright.

Define "problematic".

Rather than a definition, an example:
goffice/gtk/go-dock-item.c  is not problematic since it is already
licensed under GPLv2+

I think Morten may believe that there are many such files.
Clearly files that specify only GPLv2 are problematic and I would think
that files that don't mention any licensing also fit into the
problematic section.

So one would need to go through all the "problematic" files and list the
people listed as authors. That would be a good start to be able to ask
them about relicensing.

Andreas

PS: I think it is not quite correct  to say that goffice's license
(GPLv2), doesn't play nice with one of AbiWord's dependencies, which is
LGPLv3+ licensed. It is more likely the other way around considering
that GPLv2 predates LGPLv3+.

--
"Liberty consists less in acting according to
one's own pleasure, than in not being subject

Andreas J. Guelzow
Pyrenean Shepherds