libgsf and bzip2

I'm building a library and tools (libwpd) on MinGW that uses, among other things, libgsf.

It seems that libgsf has an undocumented dependency on bzip2.dll (or one I can't see :-) ). The versions I'm using are libgsf 1.14.3 and bzip2 1.0.3. I downloaded libgsf binaries and dev from Gnome, and bzip2 binaries and dev from GnuWin32 on SourceForge.

Everything builds, but executing one (well, any) of the tools fails with entry point BZ2_bzCompress 8 not found in the DLL bzip2.dll.

The libgfs package config file doesn't mention a dependency on bzip2.

I've tested bzip2 with a prog that calls BZ2_bzlibVersion(), compiled as
  gcc bztestmain.c -o bztestmain -lbz2
and it works fine.

Any hints or info to correct anything dumb I've done would be appreciated.

David