Re: [sc-dev] Re: Median: Oasis and Fast Sorting Algorithm
- From: Niklas Nebel <Niklas Nebel Sun COM>
- To: dev sc openoffice org
- Cc: gnumeric-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: [sc-dev] Re: Median: Oasis and Fast Sorting Algorithm
- Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:31:58 +0100
Uri David Akavia wrote:
While I'm not sure about revising the algorithm, you might be right
about the definition - define it as "MEDIAN will return the value that
WOULD be in the middle IF sorted" and then you won't force anyone to
sort. I still think most people will, since median discovery by
sorting is fast enough for most practical purposes, and it is much
simpler (hence, but free) then more complicated code.
From the specification: "Note that the mathematical formulas define the
correct mathematical result, and not the algorithm for calculation."
So it implicitly does what you say.
] [Thread Prev