writing python plugin spells

Hello,

 I have been trying to follow the directions at
http://www.gnome.org/projects/gnumeric/doc/sect-extending-python-writing.shtml
to write my own plugins.

I am using Gnumeric 1.6.3 on Gentoo Linux. The function =py_capwords("cat") works okay by giving me Cat. So I believe that Gnumeric is compiled correctly.

I have created the files ~/.gnumeric/1.6.3/myfuncs/plugin.xml and ~/.gnumeric/1.6.3/myfuncs/my-func.py

When I type in =py_add(1,2) I get the message that "Function implementation not available."

 Does anyone have a suggestion on how to track down this problem?

 Please & Thank you!