Re: gtk+ build problem - cairo-xlib.h

Since having some pretty severe problems a year ago with building the latest gnumeric under Ubuntu due (apparently) to library naming issues in that distribution, I've had some success by running the build under Debian Testing via a virtual machine. First I used VM Ware, but after changing to new hardware, I installed Debian Testing under VirtualBox since there is an Ubuntu package for this.

However, running JHBUILD to build Gnumeric in this environment, I encounter an error at stage 18/47 (gtk+). The error is given as

gtkdrawable-x11.c:32:24: error: cairo-xlib.h: No such file or directory

I've tried installing some of the dev libraries such as xlibs-static-dev, but no joy. Also, since cairo-xlib.h is available in the src collections elsewhere, I've tried placing it in /opt/gnome2/include/cairo/ but that then produces an error "cairo was not compiled with support for xlib backend".

I suspect that there is a minor bug in one of the configure or build scripts. Anyone have suggestions for overcoming the problem?

JN