Re: xls open file problem
- From: bcml swiftdsl com au
- Cc: gnumeric-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: xls open file problem
- Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 12:20:35 +1000
bcml swiftdsl com au wrote:
I have a file which is quite large ( 9.7 MB ) which is part of a legacy
system (soon being replaced by a custom written app with db backend)
which upon opening does not display any data at all.
If it is of any interest, I have found our a few things since my
previous email. The document (with no changes) opened fine (but slowly)
in openoffice.org, in which I reduced the data in the spreadsheet in the
hope it would open in gnumeric. Gnumeric was then able to open the
document however with a load time of approx 12(?) minutes.
However what is even more interesting is the next thing I tried which
was to open the document (now approx 6.8MB) in openoffice and then copy
and pasted the data into a new file in gnumeric. The resulting file is
now half the size at approx 3.4MB. The resulting memory usage is now
also less than one quarter then before (if I calculated the memory use
of the data itself, not including the memeory used by gnumeric itself it
would be much lower, approx 10% of the original). I don't think that the
use of openoffice could have had anything to do with the size of the
file (increase or decrease) as all previous use had been under gnumeric.
I am not sure if the increase in file size can be attributed to gnumeric
or the xls format. If I can find the time I will experiment to try and
narrow down why/when this occurs.
] [Thread Prev